New English Translation
20 “But if any prophet presumes to speak anything in my name that I have not authorized[c] him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 Now if you say to yourselves,[d] ‘How can we tell that a message is not from the Lord?’[e]—Read full chapter
- Deuteronomy 18:19 tn Heb “will seek from him”; NAB “I myself will make him answer for it”; NRSV “will hold accountable.”
- Deuteronomy 18:19 tn Heb “he”; the referent (the prophet mentioned in v. 18) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Deuteronomy 18:20 tn Or “commanded” (so KJV, NAB, NIV, NRSV).
- Deuteronomy 18:21 tn Heb “in your heart.”
- Deuteronomy 18:21 tn Heb “know the word which the Lord has not spoken.” The issue here is not understanding the meaning of the message, but distinguishing a genuine prophetic word from a false one.