New English Translation
28 Nebuchadnezzar exclaimed,[a] “Praised be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who has sent forth his angel[b] and has rescued his servants who trusted in him, ignoring[c] the edict of the king and giving up their bodies rather than[d] serve or pay homage to any god other than their God! 29 I hereby decree[e] that any people, nation, or language group that blasphemes[f] the God of Shadrach, Meshach, or Abednego will be dismembered and his home reduced to rubble! For there exists no other god who can deliver in this way.” 30 Then Nebuchadnezzar[g] promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the province of Babylon.Read full chapter
- Daniel 3:28 tn Aram “answered and said.”
- Daniel 3:28 sn The king identifies the “son of the gods” (v. 25) as an angel. Comparable Hebrew expressions are used elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible for the members of God’s angelic assembly (see Gen 6:2, 4; Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7; Pss 29:1; 89:6). An angel later comes to rescue Daniel from the lions (Dan 6:22).
- Daniel 3:28 tn Aram “they changed” or “violated.”
- Daniel 3:28 tn Aram “so that they might not.”
- Daniel 3:29 tn Aram “from me is placed an edict.”
- Daniel 3:29 tn Aram “speaks negligence.”
- Daniel 3:30 tn Aram “and the king.” The proper name has been supplied in the translation for stylistic reasons.