New English Translation
5 The Sovereign Lord of Heaven’s Armies will do this.[a]
He touches the earth and it dissolves;[b]
all who live on it mourn.
The whole earth[c] rises like the Nile River,[d]
and then grows calm[e] like the Nile in Egypt.[f]
6 He builds the upper rooms of his palace[g] in heaven
and sets its foundation supports[h] on the earth.[i]
He summons the water of the sea
and pours it out on the earth’s surface.
The Lord is his name.
- Amos 9:5 tn The words “will do this” are supplied in the translation for clarification.
- Amos 9:5 tn Or “melts.” The verb probably depicts earthquakes and landslides. See v. 5b.
- Amos 9:5 tn Heb “all of it.”
- Amos 9:5 tn Heb “the Nile.” The word “River” is supplied in the translation for clarity.
- Amos 9:5 tn Or “sinks back down.”
- Amos 9:5 sn See Amos 8:8, which is very similar to this verse.
- Amos 9:6 tc The MT reads “his steps.” If this is correct, then the reference may be to the steps leading up to the heavenly temple or the throne of God (cf. 1 Kgs 10:19-20). The prefixed מ (mem) may be dittographic (note the preceding word ends in mem). The translation assumes an emendation to עֲלִיָּתוֹ (ʿaliyyato, “his upper rooms”).
- Amos 9:6 tn Traditionally, “vault” (so ASV, NAB, NRSV). The precise meaning of this word in this context is unclear. Elsewhere it refers to objects grouped or held together. F. I. Andersen and D. N. Freedman (Amos [AB], 845-46) suggest the foundational structure of a building is in view.
- Amos 9:6 sn Verse 6a pictures the entire universe as a divine palace founded on the earth and extending into the heavens.