The Passion Translation
41 Those who believed the word that day numbered three thousand. They were all baptized and added to the church.[a]
The Community of Believers
42 Every believer was faithfully devoted to following the teachings[b] of the apostles. Their hearts were mutually linked to one another,[c] sharing communion[d] and coming together regularly for prayer.[e] 43 A deep sense of holy awe[f] swept over everyone, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.[g]Read full chapter
- Acts 2:41 Although the word church is not in the text, it is implied. They were converted by the message of Peter and brought into the fellowship of the believers.
- Acts 2:42 The Greek word didache means “skilled instruction and training.”
- Acts 2:42 Or “They became partners.”
- Acts 2:42 Or “breaking of bread.” This was more than sharing meals, but participating together in observing the Lord’s Table. The Aramaic, which can be translated “the Eucharist” or “holy communion,” makes it even more explicit.
- Acts 2:42 Or “[all kinds of] prayers.”
- Acts 2:43 Or “Fear [of God] came upon every person.”
- Acts 2:43 The Aramaic adds, “in Jerusalem,” which is missing in the Greek.