2 Thessalonians 1:8-10
New English Translation
8 With flaming fire he will mete out[a] punishment on those who do not know God[b] and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They[c] will undergo the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his strength,[d] 10 when he comes to be glorified among his saints and admired[e] on that day among all who have believed—and you did in fact believe our testimony.[f]Read full chapter
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8 tn Grk “meting out,” as a description of Jesus Christ in v. 7. Because of the length and complexity of the Greek sentence, a new sentence was started at the beginning of v. 8 in the translation.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8 sn An allusion to Jer 10:25, possibly also to Ps 79:6 and Isa 66:15.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:9 tn Grk “who,” describing the people mentioned in v. 8. A new sentence was started here in the translation by replacing the relative pronoun with a personal pronoun.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:9 tn Or “power,” or “might.” The construction can also be translated as an attributed genitive: “from his glorious strength” (cf. TEV “glorious might”; CEV “glorious strength”; NLT “glorious power”).sn An allusion to Isa 2:10, 19, 21.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:10 tn Or “marveled at.”
- 2 Thessalonians 1:10 tn Grk “because our testimony to you was believed.”