2 Samuel 2:3-5
New English Translation
3 David also brought along the men who were with him, each with his family. They settled in the cities[a] of Hebron. 4 The men of Judah came and there they anointed David as king over the people[b] of Judah.
David was told,[c] “The people[d] of Jabesh Gilead are the ones who buried Saul.” 5 So David sent messengers to the people of Jabesh Gilead and told them, “May you be blessed by the Lord because you have shown this kindness[e] to your lord Saul by burying him.Read full chapter
- 2 Samuel 2:3 tc The expression “the cities of Hebron” is odd; we would expect the noun to be in the singular, if used at all. Although the Syriac Peshitta has the expected reading “in Hebron,” the MT is clearly the more difficult reading and should probably be retained here.
- 2 Samuel 2:4 tn Heb “house.”
- 2 Samuel 2:4 tn Heb “and they told David.” The subject appears to be indefinite, allowing one to translate the verb as passive with David as subject.
- 2 Samuel 2:4 tn Heb “men.”
- 2 Samuel 2:5 tn Or “loyalty.”