2 Kings 19:20-22
New English Translation
20 Isaiah son of Amoz sent this message to Hezekiah: “This is what the Lord God of Israel has said: ‘I have heard your prayer[a] concerning King Sennacherib of Assyria. 21 This is what the Lord says about him:[b]
“‘“The virgin daughter Zion[c]
despises you, she makes fun of you;
shakes her head after you.[d]
22 Whom have you taunted and hurled insults at?
At whom have you shouted,[e]
and looked so arrogantly?[f]
At the Holy One of Israel![g]
- 2 Kings 19:20 tn Heb “what you have prayed to me.”
- 2 Kings 19:21 tn Heb “this is the word which the Lord has spoken about him.”
- 2 Kings 19:21 sn Zion (Jerusalem) is pictured here as a young, vulnerable daughter whose purity is being threatened by the would-be Assyrian rapist. The personification hints at the reality which the young girls of the city would face if the Assyrians conquer it.
- 2 Kings 19:21 sn Shaking the head was a mocking gesture of derision.
- 2 Kings 19:22 tn Heb “have you raised a voice.”
- 2 Kings 19:22 tn Heb “and lifted your eyes on high?”
- 2 Kings 19:22 sn This divine title pictures the Lord as the sovereign king who rules over his covenant people and exercises moral authority over them.