2 Kings 13:6-8
New English Translation
6 But they did not repudiate[a] the sinful ways of the family[b] of Jeroboam, who encouraged Israel to sin; they continued in those sins.[c] There was even an Asherah pole[d] standing in Samaria. 7 Jehoahaz had no army left[e] except for 50 horsemen, 10 chariots, and 10,000 foot soldiers. The king of Syria had destroyed his troops[f] and trampled on them as dust.[g]
8 The rest of the events of Jehoahaz’s reign, including all his accomplishments and successes, are recorded in the scroll called the Annals of the Kings of Israel.[h]Read full chapter
- 2 Kings 13:6 tn Heb “they did not turn away from.”
- 2 Kings 13:6 tn Heb “house.”
- 2 Kings 13:6 tc Heb “in it he walked.” The singular verb (הָלַךְ, halakh) is probably due to an error of haplography and should be emended to the plural (הָלְכוּ, halekhu). Note that a vav immediately follows (on the form וְגַם, vegam).
- 2 Kings 13:6 tn Or “an image of Asherah”; ASV, NASB “the Asherah”; NCV “the Asherah idol.”sn Asherah was a leading deity of the Canaanite pantheon, wife/sister of El and goddess of fertility. She was commonly worshiped at shrines in or near groves of evergreen trees, or, failing that, at places marked by wooden poles. These were to be burned or cut down (Deut 12:3; 16:21; Judg 6:25, 28, 30; 2 Kgs 18:4).
- 2 Kings 13:7 tn Heb “Indeed he did not leave to Jehoahaz people.” The identity of the subject is uncertain, but the king of Syria, mentioned later in the verse, is a likely candidate.
- 2 Kings 13:7 tn Heb “them,” i.e., the remainder of this troops.
- 2 Kings 13:7 tn Heb “and made them like dust for trampling.”
- 2 Kings 13:8 tn Heb “As for the rest of the events of Jehoahaz, and all which he did and his strength, are they not written on the scroll of the events of the days of the kings of Israel?”