1 Peter 4:8-10
New English Translation
8 Above all keep[a] your love for one another fervent,[b] because love covers a multitude of sins.[c] 9 Show hospitality[d] to one another without complaining. 10 Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another[e] as good stewards of the varied grace of God.Read full chapter
- 1 Peter 4:8 tn The primary verb of v. 8 is a participle (“having”) but it continues the sense of command from v. 7.
- 1 Peter 4:8 tn Or “constant.”
- 1 Peter 4:8 sn The statement of v. 8b, love covers a multitude of sins, is proverbial: It is quoted from Prov 10:12 (cf. Jas 5:20). It speaks of the forbearance that comes with love: Christian love is patient and forgiving toward the offenses of a fellow Christian (Matt 18:21-22; 1 Cor 13:4-7).
- 1 Peter 4:9 tn There is no main verb in this verse (“showing hospitality” translates the adjective φιλόξενοι [philoxenoi]), but it continues the sense of command from v. 7.
- 1 Peter 4:10 tn Grk “serving it to one another.” The primary verb is a participle but it continues the sense of command from v. 7.