1 Peter 3:16-18
Evangelical Heritage Version
16 But speak with gentleness and respect, while maintaining a clear conscience, so that those who attack your good way of life in Christ may be put to shame because they slandered you as evildoers.[a]
The Suffering and Exaltation of Christ
17 Indeed, it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil, 18 because Christ also suffered once for sins in our place,[b] the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you[c] to God. He was put to death in flesh[d] but was made alive in spirit,[e]Read full chapter
- 1 Peter 3:16 A few witnesses to the text omit as evildoers.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Some witnesses to the text omit in our place.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Some witnesses to the text read us.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Here flesh is a reference to Christ’s state of humiliation. See Romans 1:3; 1 Timothy 3:16.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Here spirit is a reference to Christ’s state of exaltation. See Romans 1:4; 1 Timothy 3:16.