1 Peter 3:16-18
1599 Geneva Bible
16 Having a good conscience, that when they speak evil of you as of evil doers, they may be ashamed which slander your good conversation in Christ.
17 [a]For it is better (if the will of God be so) that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.Read full chapter
- 1 Peter 3:17 A reason which standeth upon two general rules of Christianity, which notwithstanding all men allow not of. The one is, if we must needs suffer afflictions, it is better to suffer wrongfully than rightfully: the other is this, because we are so afflicted, not by hap, but by the will of our God.
- 1 Peter 3:18 A proof of either of the rules, by the example of Christ himself our chief pattern who was afflicted, not for his own sins (which were none) but for ours, and that according to his Father’s decree.
- 1 Peter 3:18 An argument taken of comparison: Christ the just suffered for us that are unjust, and shall it grieve us who are unjust to suffer for the just’s cause?
- 1 Peter 3:18 Another argument being partly taken of things coupled together, to wit, because Christ bringeth us to his Father that same way that he went himself, and partly from the cause efficient: to wit, because Christ is not only set before us for an example to follow, but also he holdeth us up by his virtue in all the difficulties of this life, until he bring us to his Father.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Another argument taken of the happy end of these afflictions, wherein also Christ goeth before us both in example and virtues, as one who suffered most grievous torments even unto death, although but in one part only of him, to wit, in the flesh or man’s nature, but yet became conqueror by virtue of his divinity.
- 1 Peter 3:18 As touching his manhood, for his body was dead, and his soul felt the sorrows of death.
1 Peter 3:16-18
New International Version
16 keeping a clear conscience,(A) so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.(B) 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will,(C) to suffer for doing good(D) than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once(E) for sins,(F) the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.(G) He was put to death in the body(H) but made alive in the Spirit.(I)Read full chapter