1 Peter 2
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Yearn For His Word So That You May Grow
2 Having then laid-aside all badness[a], and all deceit and hypocrisies and jealousies, and all slanders— 2 yearn like newborn babies for the deceitless[b] milk of-the-Word[c] in order that by it you may grow in[d] [your] salvation, 3 if [e] you tasted that the Lord is good—
For You Are Being Built Upon The Living Cornerstone As a Holy Priesthood
4 ... coming to Whom as the living Stone having been rejected by people, but chosen, precious with God, 5 you yourselves also as living stones are being built[f] as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 Because it is contained in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying a Stone in Zion— a chosen, precious Cornerstone. And the one putting-faith upon Him will never be put-to-shame” [Isa 28:16]. 7 The precious-value then is for you, the ones believing. But for ones not-believing: “The Stone which the ones building rejected, this became the head[g] of the corner” [Ps 118:22] 8 and “a Stone of stumbling and a Rock of [h] falling” [Isa 8:14]— who stumble while[i] disobeying the word, to which indeed they were appointed[j].
And You Are Chosen By God To Report His Virtues To The World
9 And you are a chosen family[k], a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His possession, so that you may report the virtues[l] of the One having called you out of darkness into His marvelous light— 10 who once were not a people, but now are the people of God; the ones not having received-mercy, but now having received-mercy.
Beloved, Keep Your Conduct Praiseworthy In The World So That God May Be Glorified
11 Beloved, I exhort you as foreigners[m] and pilgrims to be abstaining from fleshly desires which wage-war against the soul, 12 holding your conduct good[n] among the Gentiles in order that in what they are speaking-against you as evil-doers[o], they may by observing your good works glorify God on the day of visitation[p].
Be Subject To Human Institutions For The Lord’s Sake
13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake— whether to a king as being superior, 14 or to governors as being sent by him[q] for the punishment of evil-doers and praise of good-doers. 15 Because thus is the will of God, that while doing-good you may be silencing the ignorance of foolish people.
Be Subject To Your Masters, Whether Good Or Bad, Following Christ’s Example
18 ... servants, being subject to your masters with all fear[t], not only to the good and kind ones, but also to the crooked[u] ones. 19 For this finds favor— if for the sake of a consciousness[v] of God one bears-up[w] while suffering sorrows unjustly. 20 For what-kind-of credit[x] is it if while sinning and being beaten, you will endure? But if while doing-good and suffering you will endure, this finds favor with God. 21 For you were called to this[y]. Because Christ also suffered for you, leaving-behind a pattern for you in order that you might follow-after His footsteps—
Christ Suffered Unjustly, Entrusting Himself To God
22 ... Who “did not commit sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth” [Isa 53:9]; 23 Who while being reviled, was not reviling-in-return; while suffering, was not threatening, but was committing Himself [z] to the One judging righteously; 24 Who Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross in order that we, having died[aa] to sins, might live for righteousness; by Whose bruise you were healed. 25 For you were going-astray like sheep, but now you returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
- 1 Peter 2:1 Or, evilness, malice.
- 1 Peter 2:2 Or, pure, unadulterated.
- 1 Peter 2:2 Or, pertaining-to-the-Word. Or, pertaining-to-the-real-nature-of-things, and thus, ‘spiritual’ milk.
- 1 Peter 2:2 Or, in relation to, into.
- 1 Peter 2:3 That is, assuming that.
- 1 Peter 2:5 Or, are building yourselves. Or this may be a command, be built, build yourselves.
- 1 Peter 2:7 See Mk 12:10.
- 1 Peter 2:8 That is, causing a fall.
- 1 Peter 2:8 That is, because they are disobeying; or, by disobeying.
- 1 Peter 2:8 Or, destined.
- 1 Peter 2:9 Or, race, people, nation.
- 1 Peter 2:9 Or, excellencies, praises, mighty acts.
- 1 Peter 2:11 Or, resident aliens.
- 1 Peter 2:12 Or, commendable, praiseworthy.
- 1 Peter 2:12 Or, criminals (in living as Christians).
- 1 Peter 2:12 That is, the day when God visits them with salvation or judgment; or, the day when they judge you.
- 1 Peter 2:14 Or, Him.
- 1 Peter 2:16 Or, [Live] as free ones.
- 1 Peter 2:17 That is, the community of believers.
- 1 Peter 2:18 That is, with all respect; or, in all reverence of God.
- 1 Peter 2:18 Or, dishonest, unscrupulous. That is, toward you, v 19.
- 1 Peter 2:19 Or, conscience toward God.
- 1 Peter 2:19 Or, endures.
- 1 Peter 2:20 Or, fame, glory.
- 1 Peter 2:21 That is, to bear up under unjust suffering for Christ.
- 1 Peter 2:23 Or, them, it.
- 1 Peter 2:24 Or, being dead.