1 Corinthians 5
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Remove Sexually Immoral People From Your Church: A Little Leaven Leavens The Lump
5 Sexual-immorality is actually being heard-of among you— and such sexual immorality which is not even among the Gentiles, that someone has[a] the wife of his father. 2 And you are puffed-up, and did not mourn instead, in order that the one having done this deed might be taken out of your midst. 3 For indeed I, being absent in the body but present in the[b] spirit, have already judged— as-though being present— the one having thus committed this thing. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, you and my spirit having been gathered-together, with[c] the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you are to hand-over such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, in order that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord. 6 Your boast is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Clean-out the old leaven, in order that you may be a new lump, just as you are unleavened. For indeed, our Passover [Lamb] was sacrificed[d]— Christ. 8 So then let us celebrate-the-feast not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of badness[e] and evilness, but with the unleavened loaves of purity[f] and truth.
Do Not Even Associate With So-Called Brothers Who Continue To Disobey God
9 I wrote you in the letter[g] not to associate-with[h] sexually-immoral ones— 10 not at-all meaning with the sexually-immoral ones of this world, or with the greedy and swindlers[i], or with idolaters, because then you would have to go out of the world! 11 But now[j], I wrote[k] to you not to associate-with them if anyone being named a brother should be a sexually-immoral one, or a greedy one, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler— not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what do I have to do with judging the ones outside? Are you not judging the ones inside? 13 But God judges[l] the ones outside. Remove[m] the evil one from-among you yourselves.
- 1 Corinthians 5:1 That is, has his step mother as his wife.
- 1 Corinthians 5:3 That is, my spirit, as in v 4.
- 1 Corinthians 5:4 Or, along-with.
- 1 Corinthians 5:7 Or, slaughtered, killed. Paul is applying the Passover celebration to the Corinthians.
- 1 Corinthians 5:8 Or, malice.
- 1 Corinthians 5:8 Or, sincerity.
- 1 Corinthians 5:9 That is, some previous letter; or, this letter.
- 1 Corinthians 5:9 Or, keep company with.
- 1 Corinthians 5:10 Or, robbers, plunderers.
- 1 Corinthians 5:11 Or, But as-it-is.
- 1 Corinthians 5:11 Or, did write.
- 1 Corinthians 5:13 Or, will judge.
- 1 Corinthians 5:13 Or, Purge, Expel.