1 Corinthians 13
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
13 1 If I speak in the tongues of humans and of angels, but I do not have love, I have become a sounding brass [gong] or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but I do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I dole-out[a] all my possessions, and if I hand-over[b] my body so that I may boast[c], but I do not have love, I am profited nothing.
The Way Love Behaves
4 Love is patient. Love shows-kindness. Love does not envy[d], does not brag, is not puffed-up, 5 does not behave-dishonorably[e], does not seek its own things, is not provoked[f], does not count[g] the bad, 6 does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices-with the truth, 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love Is Permanent; Gifts Are Temporary. Be Pursuing Love
8 Love never fails. But if there are prophecies, they will be set-aside[h]. If there are tongues, they will cease[i]. If there is knowledge, it will be set-aside. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part— 10 but when the complete[j] thing comes, the thing in part will be set-aside. 11 When I was a child, I was speaking like a child, thinking like a child, counting[k] like[l] a child— when I have become[m] a man, I have set-aside the things of the child. 12 For now we are seeing through[n] a mirror, in an enigma[o]— but then face to face. Now I know in part— but then I will know-fully, just as I also was fully-known. 13 But now[p] these three are remaining— faith, hope, love. But love is the greater of these.
- 1 Corinthians 13:3 Or, give away (piece by piece).
- 1 Corinthians 13:3 Or deliver. That is, deliver into slavery to help others; or as a martyr.
- 1 Corinthians 13:3 Some manuscripts say ‘be burned’.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 Or, behave jealously (in a negative sense).
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 Or, -improperly, -disgracefully, -indecently.
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 That is, to anger. Or, irritated.
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 Or, account, calculate, impute. That is, keep account of it; or, count it against a person (be resentful); or, impute it to others.
- 1 Corinthians 13:8 Or, done away, put to an end.
- 1 Corinthians 13:8 Or, leave off, come to an end.
- 1 Corinthians 13:10 That is, in contrast to ‘in part’. Or, perfect, mature, having attained its end or purpose.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 Or, calculating, evaluating.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 That is, with partial understanding.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 That is, attained the state of manhood. Paul is comparing the two states.
- 1 Corinthians 13:12 Or, with, by means of.
- 1 Corinthians 13:12 That is, in a form that is imperfectly seen, indistinctly reflected, as by a primitive polished-metal mirror.
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 Or, But as-it-is. That is, in this life. Faith and hope are added because they are our connection to the next life.